Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAT写作满分模版 妈妈再也不担心我的writing了
Key Points

1. Create your own template – aka “Universal Template.”

2. Research your 25 default examples.!

3. Learn to write a strong thesis sentence

4. Work on transitions.

5. Create an interesting introduction and a strong conclusion.

Having taught classes on how to take the SAT for more than 10 years now, I find the SAT essay section to be the easiest and most predictable section of the test. The cool thing about this section is that the College Board can only test you on a limited range of prompts and your response(s) can be customized, prepared, practiced, and mastered. I am not talking about cheating on the SAT, but being prepared for all possible scenarios, to the point that nothing can surprise you

Many academies and private tutors claim that you cannot prepare a specific essay on a particular topic in advance, but I disagree. This section of the SAT can indeed be predicted, prepared, and mastered before you even step into the test site. "

Let’s take a scientific approach to the SAT essay. Unlike the math section of the SAT, the verbal section is feared by many students because of the abundance of advanced vocabulary, grammar rules, unpredictable reading genres, and essay prompts.

Students frequently ask:

1. How many SAT words should I memorize?

2. Which books should I read to prepare for the critical reading section?

3. How about dictions and idioms? How many are there?

4. Can I predict possible essay prompts?

5. Can I guarantee at least a double-digit score on my essay?

My responses are:

1. 3,000-5,000, depending on your previous exposure to the SAT

2. Combination of novels, magazines, journals, and textbooks (Ryan’s Top 10 Picks)

3. Less than 100 idioms and dictions

4. Absolutely!

5. Absolutely, yes!

My approach is this: Instead of trying to figure out what prompts and/or passages to expect, why not concentrate on the design of the SAT itself – in this case the SAT essay – so no matter what is thrown at you, you are not easily surprised and you can calm yourself by having a step-by-step plan already in place.

So, I came up with the “80:20 Rule.” This rule applies not only to the SAT, but also to the ACT, GRE, and GMAT. The concept is simple: Find ways to predict and prepare for 80% of the test, and only worry about 20% (which can also be mastered) during the test. How? Simple. Again, learn the design, put yourself in the College Board’s shoes, and learn the tricks so you don’t fall into the traps. I will give you plenty of examples and guidelines, so don’t panic!

Basics of the SAT Essay

1. You are only given 25 minutes to complete the essay. But trust me … when you take the real test, it’s not going to feel like a whole 25 minutes. Make sure you give yourself less time when practicing (16-18 minutes), so you can build up mental and physical stamina.

2. Be aware of the psychological effect of section 1. The essay will always be the first section of the SAT. If you mess it up for whatever reason, it’s going to haunt you for the rest of the test. But if you nail it, you will gain the confidence to continue to the rest of the sections.

3. Many academies say it is OK to use “I” but again … I say no. Although “I” is acceptable to express your personal point(s) of view, it weakens your thesis. If you begin with “I believe,” you are presenting your personal, fundamentally biased opinion – therefore, avoid using “I” if possible."

4. Essays are scored by two graders. Each grades on a scale of 1-6 (for a total of 12). Remember, though, that each grader has only a minute or so to read and grade your essay. That is why highlighting certain sections of your essay might do the trick to help you succeed.

5. Do not veer off topic! Answer the question. If you don’t, you will receive a grade of zero. Believe me … I have seen it happen.

6. Your essay equals 1/3 of your writing score: +/- 250. So, it is crucial that you do well

There are 10 steps you must learn and master. Once you have your own custom-made template, 25 quality examples, 3 to 5 transitions, and detail plug-ins, you are ready to tackle all possible prompts.

1. Universal Template: A pre-built template/structure that you can use to write your essay.

2. 25 Quality Examples: Edison, JFK, and Hitler are elementary examples. They are trite, and most graders will not be impressed by them. Use high-quality examples, such as Jack Welch, Howard Schultz, Steven Jobs, the Enron scandal, the Patriot Act, etc. Remember! Graders get only a minute or so to read and grade your essay. You must do everything possible to impress them.

3. Transitions: There are pre-built transitions that you can easily pick and choose to smooth out the flow of your essay. I will give you some examples as we go.

4. Plug-ins: Plug-ins are all details that were pre-researched, pre-written, and memorized – ready to be used at a moment’s notice.

So, Here Are the 10 Steps:

Step 1 (20 seconds)

Brainstorm and come up with three to five quality examples.Do not choose a side before you come up with examples. This is extremely important because without examples you will not be able to complete your essay. In other words, your opinion does not matter unless you can support it. Let your examples dictate which side you choose – not the other way around.

Step 2 (10 seconds)

Agree or disagree with the prompt.

Now that you have three to five examples, it is time for you to take a stance. Agree or disagree with the prompt. If it is an open-ended question, by now you should have come up with a response.

Step 3 (1 minute)

Write your thesis:

Follow this simple formula to write you thesis. Later, you will be allowed to make it more personal by adding adjectives, examples, etc., but for now, I want you to stick with this. Why? To create a backbone to your thesis writing so you know exactly what to do and what not to miss.

First, start with the keyword. If the prompt is: “Honesty is always the best policy,” then start with “honesty” so your reader/grader knows that you are on point. After your keyword, immediately agree or disagree with the prompt.

For example: Honesty is crucial … (Agree) OR Honesty can be detrimental … (Disagree). Once you’ve done this, then you have to explain the Why and the How. Without this step, all you are doing is repeating the prompt. You must explain why you agree or disagree with the prompt.

For example: Honesty is crucial to build and maintain trust.

Bad Intros:

1. Ladies and gentlemen of the College Board …

2. What would Jesus do? ...

3. Once upon a time …

4. “Failure is the mother of success!!!” …

By the way, I have actually seen these introductory phrases written by real students. Please, don’t make the same mistake.

Step 4 (1 minute)

Complete your introduction.Now spend a minute or so completing your introductory paragraph. Make sure you write at least two sentences but no more than three, as you’ll run out of time.

My version:For example: Honesty is crucial to build and maintain trust. Several examples from literary works and current events clearly demonstrate that honesty always prevails.

That’s it. Two sentences are good enough for the SAT essay. I am not saying don’t write more, but there is no need to write five to six sentences. It’s important that you move on since you only have 25 minutes to complete a full-length essay. Remember! This is not your typical school essay, in which you have to develop your thesis and write your thesis at the end of your introductory paragraph. The SAT essay does not work that way. You must get straight to the point, answer the prompt/question, and move on to your examples. That’s the only way you’ll finish on time. Also, it is important to remind you that readers/graders know that you were given only 25 minutes to complete your essay. They will be lenient and not penalize every grammatical error. Readers/graders, however, will penalize you for excessive patterns of spelling and grammar errors – I mean … who wouldn’t?

Step 5 (1 minute)

Write your transitional thesis:.It is time to introduce your first example. Avoid being abrupt. Start with a transitional phrase that will smoothly transition from your introduction to your body paragraph 1.

Here are some recommended transitional phrases:

1. As demonstrated by …

2. As shown by …

3. In the novel 1984 by George Orwell, …

4. In the film Metropolis by Fritz Lang, …

5. Through the actions of …

6. Description, …

Then you have to add a modified version of your thesis. You need to add your example and blend it with your thesis to make it more relevant.

For example: In the novel 1984 by George Orwell, Winston’s rebellious thoughts/actions are direct results of the party’s deceptive/dishonest political tactics.

Step 6 (2 minutes)

Use accelerated plug-in 1.+This is where the 80:20 Rule really shines. Now that you have pre-researched and memorized all details related to your example(s), it’s time to make full use of them and plug them in to build volume and persuasive content. Give yourself two minutes to write at least six sentences of pure supportive details/content. Of course, all details/content must be relevant to the prompt! If not, you are padding; that will get you not a zero, but somewhere in the 2-4 range. 4

Important: Make sure you pepper your plug-in with some statistics, full names, and dates – a sure tactic to impress your graders.

AWFUL: “Students should not play PS3 because my mom told me so!”

BAD: “Students should avoid playing PS3 because I play it three to four hours a day and my GPA is 2.5”

OKAY: “Students should avoid playing PS3 as it may lead to a lower GPA, dependency/addiction to gaming, and distraction from other important activities/duties.”

GOOD: “According to the National Behavioral Research Center (NBRC), students who play PS3 for more than an hour a day will likely develop a Game Dependency Syndrome, which will negatively affect students’ GPAtheir chances of getting into college.

Step 7 (1 minute)

Prov Step 7 (1 minute):

Now that you’ve plugged in everything you know about your first example, it’s time to make some sense out of it and tie your plug-ins back to the prompt. Without a clear explanation and/or justification of why you plugged in those details, your paragraph will just be a copy-pasted version of Wikipedia.

Write one to two sentences – in your own words – about how your plug-ins help support your thesis.

Suggested transitions:*

1. Therefore

2. Hence

3.Thus

For example: Therefore, Winston’s actions prove that (government/leaders/country/party’s) dishonesty/deception can lead to societal/widespread chaos and rebellion.

Step 8 (8 minutes)

Repeat the above process two times. "

Remember! You need three examples/three body paragraphs – not two. Providing three examples/body paragraphs is another way to guarantee a double-digit score. )

Step 9 (2 minutes)

Write a strong conclusion: The power of “indeed.”

Your conclusion is extremely important as it is the final piece of information graders will read before grading your essay. Think of it as the last impression you leave on your graders – the stronger it is, the higher the score. Your conclusion must be succinct, to the point, and, most importantly, well crafted. By this, I mean that you should not leave such an important part of your essay up to improvisation. You must pre-plan for this and create multiple plug-ins.

For example: After a careful analysis of X, Y, Z (Plug-ins), Keyword is “indeed” Modified Thesis...

For example: After a careful analysis of 1984, Of Mice and Men, and Fahrenheit 451, one can see that honesty is, indeed, the best policy in building and maintaining long-lasting trust. Without honesty, societies can fall into chaos. Staying true to one another is the only way to prevent such destructive happenings/occurrences.

Step 10 (1-2 minutes)

Whew! You’re almost done.

All you need to do now is go back and make sure you did not make any silly mistakes. Spend a minute or so revising and proofreading your essay. I’ve seen so many silly mistakes from my students that I must ask you to not make these same mistakes
SAT数学获取高分九大答题原则

与SAT其他部分相比,数学部分拿高分对我们中国学生来说并非难事,因为国内初中数学教育已经涵盖了其90%的内容。但同学们不能因此轻视,还是要总结方法争取拿满分,看看下面我们为大家总结的九大答题原则。

原则一:SAT数学考试的时候没有草稿纸,在你的试卷本里计算是可以的。
SAT数学考试时候是没有草稿纸的,这就要求同学们在日常练习中就要在题目的旁边做标记,记录思路。写字比较大的同学要考虑到“草稿”空间是有限的,所以要有条理的写下你的答题思路,且字号大小易懂即可。同学们还需要知道考完以后试卷是无法带走的,无需雕琢的再漂亮。等全部题目做完有时间就重新读每一道题目,思考自己应该怎么做,看看之前写下的思路是否和现在想的一样。再逐行检查是否有计算错误,数字誊写错误,运算符号写错等情况。

原则二:一定要认真读清楚SAT数学题目,不要在没有弄清题目意思的情况下开始解题。
弄清题目中从句的结构和指代,注意插入语,注意题目要求的,要完成要求,不要漏。

原则三:不要在某个题目上花太长的时间
如果遇到有的题目看了半天还是没有头绪,就先在题号上做个明显的标记,等全部题目做完再回来认真读题目,写下已知量,尝试列算式。

原则四:SAT数学选择题一定有答案
SAT数学题要求考生从题目下方的A、B、C、D、E,5个选项中选择正确的答案。要注意的是SAT数学选择题只可能有一个正确答案,如果无法得出5个所给选项中的任何一个答案,赶快停下来重新读题,重新做。不要以为这和国内部分考题一样会出现没有答案的现象而自己把自己的答案额外写出来。如果考试的时候你的计算结果没有出现或出现多个在5个选项中,赶快停止计算,重新读题目,重新列式计算。

原则五:考前确认自己是否记清所有要用到的公式、概念以及考试可能会用到的单词。
虽然考试卷子上会给出所谓的公式,但是都是些简单的面积、体积、三角函数、角度计算公式。避免考试的时候现推导公式而浪费时间。

原则六:只要不方便的计算,迅速使用计算器。
按计算器的时候确定你输入的数字与你想要输入的数字一致。不要使用计算器的记忆功能,否则很可能出现程序错误导致的结果错误。注意:同时需要计算加减乘除的时候输入的式子需要打括号,否则结果会出错。记得算完一次要清除结果,以免下次的计算结果出错。

原则七:平时练习一定要限时
解题不仅仅是追求正确率,还要保障时间够用。同学们在平时的练习中就需要限时练习,这样在考试中就不会因为时间紧促就慌张。

原则八:按顺序做题
做SAT数学题的时候一定要按照顺序来,因为绝大部分的题目都是从易到难的。遇到卡住的题目的时候,才需要跨题做。

原则九:不要因为题目困难就不认真读题
不要因为考场里的突发情况而影响你的答题心情。不要因为身边的人做题有多快就紧张,最好不要去看别人,自己认真、淡定地答好自己的题。

总之,还是要做足准备,注意细节问题,既然数学部分相对来说较为简单,那我们就把满分定为自己的目标备战SAT,同学们加油!