Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
美国大学申请essay范文
Special World

The world I come from starts as a straight path, then diverts slightly, and then ultimately strays off into a completely new direction. My family owns a family-business, which requires both of my parents to work nearly everyday except for Sunday. My older brother is away at college and I normally stay at home. I often babysit my 15-year old little brother Johnny, who towers above me by two feet and far exceeds my own strength.

I admit that caring for him can be frustrating. He is picky when it comes to how I cook food, and he has difficulty controlling his temper when he is bored. It is difficult to do any homework around him, for that if he wanders off, he could not tell me where he is or call for help if he is hurt.

Occasionally, I find myself reflecting on this question: what would my life be like if my little brother was not autistic? Perhaps I would find myself in a typical family, where Johnny would attend school and aspire to go to college, where Johnny would learn how to drive, where Johnny would one day leave home behind. After reflecting upon this, I then ask myself if that is what I truly want. The answer will always be the same; I want to live the life I live in now.

My little brother Johnny is my beacon of hope ━ the hope that people can learn to accept our differences, big or small. He made me see that there are things I cannot control, and that I should embrace them if they come. As I grew up, I struggled between living a life with the heightened responsibilities needed for Johnny and a life that ignored the challenges that come with Johnny.

In the beginning, all I wanted was to strive for my own aspirations, believing extensive responsibility for Johnny will hold me back. I tried to block out Johnny’s presence in my mind, feeling that if I dwelled and fretted upon his condition, I would not have the opportunity to strive for myself. I was wrong; here I am, writing an essay for college, where many opportunities await.

There were times when I was afraid to be associated with Johnny in public for his erratic behavior. Often I pretended to not know him when I was with my family, as if being with him was something shameful. Back then, I was naīve, fearing that I would not be accepted for having a different kind of brother. Now, after meeting people of different backgrounds, I can see that success is not defined by one’s own self-satisfaction but through accepting the differences of others. Every time I am with Johnny now, I feel as though he is not just my brother but my teacher of tolerance, showing that it is possible for people of different abilities to live with each other.

So as I think of such things where Johnny is "normal", I always remind myself that my perspectives of people are shaped by his influence on my life, and that I prefer this "special" version of him over a "normal"Johnny. I am grateful that I come from a family with a wonderful little brother who has taught me more than I could ever ask for, even if it makes my life is a bit unique.